ORIGIN OF THRISSUR RED CROSS SOCIETY
During the First World War in 1914, India had no organization for relief services to the affected soldiers, except a branch of the St. John Ambulance Association and by a Joint Committee of the British Red Cross . Later, a branch of the same Committee was started to undertake the much needed relief services in collaboration with the St. John Ambulance Association in aid of the soldiers as well as civilian sufferers of the horrors of that Great War. A bill to constitute the Indian Red Cross Society, Independent of the British Red Cross , was introduced in the Indian Legislative Council on 3rd March 1920 by Sir Claude Hill, member of the Viceroy’s Executive Council who was also Chairman of the Joint war Committee in India . The Bill was passed on 17th March 1920 and became Act XV of 1920 with the assent of the Governor General on the 20th March 1920. On 7th June 1920, fifty members were formally nominated to constitute the Indian Red Cross Society and the first Managing Body was elected from among them with Sir Malcolm Hailey as Chairman.
Indian Red Cross Society is a member of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. Relations between the IRCS and the India Delegation of the Federation are strong. Indian Red Cross Society has partnership with National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, St. John Ambulance, International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement (IFRC), International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC ), Multinational firms. Individuals and others in supporting IRCS activities. It also coordinates with Indian Government and other agencies ( UNDP, WHO etc ).
With the thought of basic needs to all, a group of likely-minded people formed Thrissur Red Cross Society inspired by IRCS.
The Red Cross Society always aims to inspire, encourage and initiate at all times, all forms of humanitarian activities so the human suffering can be minimized, alleviated, and even prevented, and thus contribute to creating a more congenial atmosphere for peace.
Red Cross on a white background is the Emblem of Red Cross , recognized in 1864 as the distinctive sign for medical relief teams on the battle field. In the Russo-Turkish war the Ottoman empire used a Red Crescent in place of the Red Cross. Egypt too opted for the Red Crescent while Persia chose a Red Lion on a white background. These symbols were written and accepted into the 1929 Geneva Conventions. The IRCS adopted RED CROSS as its emblem. The National Society make use of the emblem as an indicative device in peacetime and during armed conflicts within the limits stipulated in national legislation, the regulations and its statutes only for activities consistent with the principles set out by International Federation of the Red Cross and Red Crescent. During the General Assembly and the council of Delegates in November 2005 at Geneva, Red Crystal has been adopted as another emblem for the Red Cross Red Crescent movement.
RED CROSS IN INDIA
RED CROSS IN KERALA
RED CROSS IN THRISSUR